TMJ Disorders and How a Chiropractor Can Help
Temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD) affect approximately 20% of adults at some point during their lives. The TMJ consists of two joints located near the ear and behind the lower teeth. These joints allow movement between the upper and lower jaws. When these joints become damaged or misaligned, they can cause discomfort or even severe problems such as headaches, neck pain, facial pain, toothaches, or trouble chewing food.
Chiropractors are trained to diagnose and treat TMJ conditions using manual manipulation techniques. They also educate patients about prevention strategies, including proper nutrition, exercise, and stress management. Patients who receive regular care from a chiropractor see significant improvements in symptoms. For example, studies show that chiropractic treatment reduces pain levels by 50%, improves sleep quality by 80%, and increases overall health scores by 40%.
Signs and Symptoms of TMJ
Can a Chiropractor Help Fix TMJ?
How Does It Work?
What Does a Chiropractor Do For TMJ?
A chiropractor can perform a variety of treatments for TMJ pain. He or she may recommend specific exercises to strengthen your jaw muscles. Chiropractors may also suggest dietary changes to encourage you to avoid foods that require intense chewing and put further tension on the jaw.
These solutions work because chiropractic care helps optimize the functioning of your nervous system. Nerves carry messages throughout your body, allowing information to be sent quickly to areas that need attention. When your nerves do not work properly, you may feel pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness. Chiropractors can help restore the normal flow of nerve impulses that stop working properly and create imbalances in your body.
Research shows that chiropractic care can improve the health of millions of Americans every year. Studies have shown that chiropractic adjustments can ease lower back pain, neck pain, headaches, arthritis, asthma, allergies, and even some types of cancer. With proper treatment, chiropractors can help alleviate the pain associated with TMJ disorders.
Adjusting the Spine
When Should I See My Chiropractor?
TMJ Disorders Are Common Among Athletes
Other Treatment Options
- Relaxation Exercises like meditating can help relieve muscle spasms. During relaxation sessions, you lie down comfortably while breathing deeply. As you breathe in, you focus on relaxing your mind and body. Then, as you exhale, you think of something pleasant that makes you happy. Repeat this process until you feel calm and relaxed.
- Massage Therapy is another way to relax your muscles. While lying on your back, your therapist will apply firm pressure along specific areas of your body. He or she may use a variety of techniques, including kneading, tapping, rubbing, stretching, and deep tissue massage.
- Medications are sometimes used to treat TMJ disorders. For example, over-the-counter antihistamines relieve symptoms associated with allergies and colds. NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) reduce inflammation. Muscle relaxants ease tightness and pain in the neck and jaw muscles.
- Speaking to your doctor about injections is an option if medications don’t work well enough. An injection delivers medicine directly into your tissues, or sometimes into the joints themselves.
- Surgery can be performed on some people with TMJ disorders. This treatment involves removing damaged bone and cartilage from the joint. It’s usually done because other methods aren’t effective.
If you are interested in chiropractic treatment for TMJ disorders or another health concern, search, compare, and book an appointment with a care provider in your area using medimap.ca
About the author
Shereen is a passionate marketing professional with over 7 years of experience in executing traditional and digital marketing strategies across diverse industries. With a background in both agency and client-side roles, Shereen has successfully implemented effective marketing campaigns that have yielded a positive return on investment. As an energetic individual, Shereen possesses strong organizational and communication skills, ensuring seamless team coordination and collaboration. She thrives in process-driven environments, paying meticulous attention to detail while remaining focused on achieving results. With a proven ability to manage multiple projects in competitive and fast-paced settings, she is dedicated to driving success through strategic marketing initiatives.