Occupational Therapists near me in Surrey, BC
Use Medimap to find and book occupational therapists in Surrey, BC. It’s simple, free and safe. Find occupational therapists open today or see their hours of operation.
Surrey Neuroplasticity Clinic - Occupational Therapy
Find the best occupational therapists in Surrey, BC
How to book a occupational therapist in Surrey, BC
AccessWe are growing our network of thousands of clinic partnerships that allows patients to access same-day and next-day care.
ConvenienceWe simplify the process by making it easy to compare and select a Occupational Therapist 24/7.
BookPatients can book an appointment in just a few clicks with a local Occupational Therapist.
Frequently Asked Questions about Occupational Therapists
What do occupational therapists do?
Occupational therapists, also known as OTs help people who are experiencing challenges, often caused by injury, illness, disability, mental health, a change in function, or barriers in the social and physical environment. Occupational therapists help individuals take part in everyday activities and provide a holistic approach to help clients improve their quality of life.
What is the difference between an occupational therapist and a physical therapist?
The main difference between physical therapy and occupational therapy is that physical therapy focuses on evaluating and diagnosing injury and dysfunction with the goal of restoring the body’s strength and function, whereas occupational therapy focuses on helping people achieve daily activities at work, home, and leisure like eating and cleaning. Physiotherapists may use hands-on manual techniques to repair injuries and restore the body’s mobility, whereas occupational therapists assess a person’s home or work space and recommend equipment or modification to improve daily living and working.
Why would I go to an occupational therapist?
Occupational therapists help people of all ages who have physical, sensory, or cognitive problems. Occupational therapy helps individuals regain independence in all areas of their lives and remove barriers that affect a person's physical, emotional, and social needs. After an injury, mental health issue, or trauma, occupational therapy may help individuals get back on track in their daily life.
How do occupational therapists help children?
An occupational therapist can assess and provide therapy to help them respond appropriately to sensory information, which children may have difficulty with after an injury, mental health issue, or trauma. Occupational therapists can address psychological, social, and various environmental factors that may affect the way a child functions in various settings.
What should I look for when choosing an occupational therapist?
It is important to choose an occupational therapist who uses treatment methods that are known to be associated with effective treatment. An occupational therapist you feel connected to and comfortable around will also help improve the effectiveness of your treatment. Patience and good communication skills are also important to consider when choosing an occupational therapist.
What can an occupational therapist help me with?
Occupational therapy is often used to treat medical conditions including arthritis, depression, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson's disease. Occupational therapy may work for some conditions in children such as cerebral palsy, down's syndrome, learning disabilities, and spina bifida. Occupational therapy also goes beyond physical help; it can also help individuals struggling with mental health or cognitive issues.
Occupational therapy is a healthcare profession dedicated to assisting people of all ages in achieving their goals, functioning independently, and participating in meaningful activities. Occupational therapists assist people with physical, mental, or cognitive impairments in developing or regaining the skills needed to perform daily tasks and activities.
In Surrey,BC, occupational therapists are regulated healthcare professionals who must complete a recognized occupational therapy program and pass a licensing exam. They work in a range of settings, including hospitals, rehabilitation centers, schools, and community health centers.
Occupational therapy services in Surrey,BC are typically covered by provincial health plans, though private insurance may cover some services as well. The number of sessions covered may differ depending on the needs of the individual and the type of treatment required.
Some of the key areas that occupational therapists in British Columbia may address include:
- Physical Rehabilitation: Occupational therapists work with individuals who have physical disabilities or injuries, such as those resulting from stroke, spinal cord injuries, or amputations. They help individuals to regain physical function and mobility, and develop strategies for managing daily tasks.
- Mental Health: Occupational therapists work with people who have mental illnesses like depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia. They assist individuals in developing coping skills and strategies for coping with daily tasks, as well as in reintegrating into their communities and workplaces.
- Pediatrics: Children with developmental delays, disabilities, or injuries are served by occupational therapists. They assist children in developing the skills required to complete daily tasks as well as participate in school and social activities.
- Geriatrics: Occupational therapists work with older adults who may have age-related health issues, such as arthritis or dementia. They help individuals to maintain independence and improve their quality of life, through strategies such as home modifications and assistive devices.
- Workplace Health: Workplace health and safety issues are identified and addressed by occupational therapists in collaboration with employers and employees. They may offer ergonomics training, help with workplace accommodations, and create return-to-work plans for employees who have been injured or become ill.
There are numerous benefits to visiting an occupational therapist in Surrey,BC, including:
- Improved Function and Independence: Occupational therapists help individuals to regain or develop the skills needed to perform daily tasks and activities, such as dressing, cooking, and driving. This can improve their function and independence and enhance their quality of life.
- Enhanced Wellbeing: Occupational therapists assist people in engaging in meaningful activities and hobbies that can improve their mood, reduce stress, and improve their overall sense of well-being.
- Improved Safety: Occupational therapists can assess an individual's home or workplace environment and make recommendations for modifications or assistive devices to improve safety and reduce the risk of falls or injuries.
- Improved Work Performance: Occupational therapists can help individuals develop strategies for increasing productivity and job satisfaction, as well as assist employers in creating healthy and safe workplaces.
- Improved Community Participation: Individuals can benefit from occupational therapy by reintegrating into their communities and participating in social, recreational, and volunteer activities, which can improve their social connections and overall quality of life.
- Pediatric Support: Occupational therapists can work with children who have developmental delays or disabilities to improve their motor skills, communication, and overall function. They can also provide support to parents and caregivers, helping them to navigate the challenges of raising a child with special needs.
- Geriatric Support: Occupational therapists can assist older adults in maintaining their independence and functioning as they age. They can make recommendations for home modifications as well as strategies for managing chronic conditions like arthritis or dementia.
- Pain Management: Occupational therapists can help individuals who are dealing with chronic pain to manage their symptoms and improve their function. They can provide education on pain management techniques, as well as develop individualized treatment plans.
- Rehabilitation Support: Individuals recovering from a serious illness or injury can benefit from occupational therapy to improve their function and independence. They can provide rehabilitation services both in the hospital and in the community, assisting people in returning to their normal lives.
Overall, occupational therapy is a valuable healthcare profession in Surrey,BC that can help individuals of all ages and abilities to achieve their goals, function independently, and participate fully in their communities.
If you need to search for an “occupational therapist near me ”, Medimap.ca is a website that helps users find healthcare providers and services near them, including occupational therapists. Here's how it works:
- Go to Medimap.ca and click on "Occupational Therapists" under the "Services" section on the homepage.
- Enter your location, such as your city or postal code, and click "Search".
- A map will appear, showing the locations of occupational therapists near you. You can use the filters on the left-hand side of the page to narrow your search by distance, availability, and other criteria.
- Click on a location to view more information, such as the address, phone number, and website of the occupational therapist. You can also see their hours of operation and any other relevant details, such as the types of services they offer.
- If you find a suitable occupational therapist, you can contact them directly to schedule an appointment or get more information about their services.
In addition to searching for occupational therapists, Medimap.ca allows users to book appointments online with select healthcare providers such as walk-in clinics and physiotherapists. This can be a convenient option for those who want to schedule an appointment without having to call the provider directly.
To summarize, occupational therapists play an important role in assisting individuals in achieving their goals and improving their quality of life by improving their ability to perform daily activities and participate in their communities. Medimap can help you find an occupational therapist near you in Surrey,BC, allowing you to get the care you need to improve your function, independence, and overall well-being. Individuals can take steps towards achieving their goals and living their best lives by working with occupational therapists and using resources such as Medimap.